Friday, January 22, 2016

Snow Day Update...

I don't post on here as much as I used to because I've found it is usually much easier for everyone if I just email.



All students have a Mood Poem due.  It was due today so that means I will collect them Monday.  I don't like having items due on Mondays but considering the circumstances...

It must be handwritten on plain white paper.  I supplied the white paper.  I will grade on punctuation and grammar, neatness, illustration included (in color) and format followed.

Write a MOOD poem

AState a mood 
B. Write three things the mood is not (two stated briefly, one stated as a comparison). 
C.  Switch to a statement of what the mood is. 
D.  State three more descriptions of the mood.

Example
I’m happy 
Not spaced-out, silly-faced happy 
Not delirious with a fever happy 
Not happy like a man who has pleasantly lost his memory 
But just under the surface of my skin happy 
Glad that life is still mine despite problems 
Glad that I still appreciate a good sunset 
Glad that I am still in love.


ALSO- each student had an assignment of finding a poem for their recitation next week.  It was due Thursday but I extended that deadline (now Monday as well).  Each student should have a handout of the requirements and rubric.

Please check your child's 3 ring binder.  We started a Poetry section.  In that section they should have the following notes:

Tone- author’s attitude (positive or negative)
created by: setting and choice of vocabulary

Mood- what the reader feels- emotions

hyperbole-use of exaggeration to make a point

Imagery-the use of language to create visual pictures in head

personification-gives human qualities to an object or animal

prose- any written work that is not poetry

poetry-piece of writing that can express an idea or emotion-may rhyme or not

connotation-how a word makes you feel

denotation- dictionary definition

They should look over these.  They will have a vocabulary test on them soon.

Keep warm, be safe.  I hope to see all of you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment